SOM Ed I & Ed II Space Planning and Allocation
The goal of space planning, management and allocation is to make the best possible use of these physical assets and to plan for future needs. You may download this as a PDF.
Overall Guiding Principles
- Provide state of the art education and educational support space, to allow for future growth of the MD and Biomed and Public Health educational programs and to address accreditation requirements.
- Provide on-campus office and shared space for clinical chairs and faculty to allow better proximity for student engagement and to address accreditation requirements.
- Move off-site medical school and UCR Health administrative services on campus to achieve efficiency and economies by relinquishing leased space.
Space Allocation Guidelines
- Offices and workstations will be assigned based on need, availability, and suitability for the intended use.
- Office and workstation space, like all space, will be allocated to a given unit, as available. No unit “owns” the space that has been allocated to it.
- Space that has been allocated to a unit may be reassigned by the facility manager to another unit at any time in response to needs and priorities.
- Clinical faculty and staff that have an administrative role on campus 50% or more receive dedicated workspace. If the administrative role is less than 50% time, they will receive shared departmental space or huddle space.
- Faculty and staff that have offices off campus other than lab spaces shall be provided departmental shared space or huddle space in ED-I or ED-II.
- Rotating faculty, physicians, interns, fellows, etc. shall have shared space or huddle space.
- Multiple workspaces for individual employees are not allowed unless there is a true demonstrated need. Under such circumstances, the employee may be assigned a secondary workspace at a different location. All decisions related to multiple workspaces will be made on a case-by-case basis as determined by the dean and/or space committee. This does not apply to the use of shared space and /or hoteling space at a secondary location.
- If a space that is assigned to a unit remains vacant for more than two months or is underutilized; the unit will be required to provide justification for maintaining use of the space.
- Periodic evaluation of space allocation should be made by the facility manager to ensure that all office / cubicle space is being used to maximum functionality and efficiency.
|Executive - Type of Room Occupants||Space Type|
|Associate/assistant dean||Private office|
|Executive director/director||Private office|
|Assistant to dean||Private office|
|Staff - Type of Room Occupants||Space Type|
|Manager||Private office, shared office, cubicle|
|Professional, non-manager||Shared office, cubicle|
|Professional, non-manager requiring privacy and engages with students daily (Student Counselor, Advisor, Wellness)||Private office|
|Specialist, technicians, developers||Shared office, cubicle|
|Other - Type of Room Occupants||Space Type|
Career Tracks Job Categories and Levels
Space Allocation Requirements - Private Office
Must meet all qualifications
- Full time staff requiring a high level of privacy for frequently working on confidential matters or meeting with students, staff, and others. User finds it impractical to use shared meeting space for these conversations.
- Managers and senior professionals (MSP) job categories.
- Managers (levels M1-M4)
- Expert professional (level P5)
- Selected advanced professional (level P4)
- Selected supervisors (level S2)
- Manages direct reports (supervises at least 2.0 FTE)
- Staff works with confidential files. All staff will have a locking filing cabinet or will be provided locking cabinet space in the storage rooms.
- Periodic meetings and special assignments. Both buildings will have available conference rooms and/ or huddle spaces.
- Engages in confidential conversations less than 75% of their time. Conference and huddle rooms to be made available for users.
- Conducts routine work on a regular basis in the facility.
Staff that may not qualify for all three requirement but request on office space
- Requestor submits an Exception Justification Request Form.
- Form must be signed by department chair, senior associate dean, or unit director before submitting.
- Request form is reviewed by space committee – approved or denied.
- Request form is sent to dean for final sign-off.
Space Committee Reviewed and Recommended: September 2022
Dean Reviewed and Approved: October 2022